Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hatched, Part 1

Saturday morning, June 19th, I discovered one of the two hummingbird eggs have hatched.
I read female hummingbirds normally lay two eggs and sometimes hatch close to the same day. After birth, the momma bird leaves the nest regularly to hunt insects for the baby.
In this case, when momma went searching for food, I took the opportunity to snap the above photo. The baby eyes are still shut. I am hoping the second birth is not far behind.

Someone mentioned that I should give the babies names. Any suggestions?


- Karen

6 comments:

rainfield61 said...

I have gone through the same process, but did not think of naming the baby.

It is very exciting to check the status daily. Hopefully the baby will not leave unnoticed

AVCr8teur said...

Rainfield61: You are an expert baby bird sitter. I look forward to checking regularly to see if there are any changes. This is better than tv.

Lost said...

Wow that looks amazing. Keep us updated

betchai said...

what a very beautiful experience, i love hummingbirds, and so great to see here how they nest, hatch and take care of baby. and thanks for the picture of the baby hummingbird.

RoseBelle said...

I'd be so excited witnessing this. I wonder if the birds will fly off when they're older. I would name the babies. This is really so cute.

AVCr8teur said...

Lost: The next update has been posted. Thanks for visiting even during your vacation.

Betchai: You are welcome. They are amazing to watch. We, all, can learn something about them.

RoseBelle: I think they will fly away in a few weeks. In the meantime, we put a pad beneath them just in case one falls out. We have a few names in mind.