Saturday, July 03, 2010

View From the Top

I heard stories of having to wait in line for over an hour to visit the Empire State Building. We arrived early and bypassed that unpleasant scene.
With all those velvet roped lines, you can imagine what it would be like during peak season.


From the 86th floor of the open-air observatory, visitors can look through the openings of the metal grates and see the Empire State Building cast its own shadow over neighboring buildings on a sunny day.


Looking south, one can see Lower Manhattan where Wall Street, government offices, Greenwich Village, Chinatown, Little Italy, ...etc. reside.


Looking northwest, you can see Central Park and the Upper West Side, home to many famous celebrities and museums.


From a few posts back, I wrote about the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. You can see both islands here. They look so small from a distance.


- Karen

6 comments:

LifeRamblings said...

great bird's eye view of New York. thanks for the tour. Happy 4th!

mrsnesbitt said...

I haven't got a head for heights so this is impressive!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Wow, great views and photos. The Empire State Building is on my bucket list. I'll have to remember to get there early.

SandyCarlson said...

Some incredible views. I am glad you had an easy time of it.

AVCr8teur said...

Life Ramblings: I don't know if you celebrate the 4th, but have a happy one as well.

MrsNesbitt: It is high trust me.

Yogi: Good idea to have it on your bucket list. I haven't made one yet.

Sandy: Thanks! Everything looks so small from up there.

LR Photography said...

I like the view from the top!