Friday, February 17, 2012

A Stop for Wax Apples

Our tour guide stopped regularly so we could take a short break for food and clean restrooms.
Here we stopped for both at a roadside fruit stand called Super Sweet.


Many other tour buses know to stop here as well to really help bring in some good business.


During our drive over, our tour guide kept talking about wax apple and I had no idea what it was. Well, they sell them here by the boxes.
According to Wikipedia, it is known as a wax apple, bell fruit, love apple, ...etc.
Normally found in Asia, the fruit is a bell-shaped with colors ranging from white, pale green, or green to red, purple, or crimson, to deep purple.
This stand sells it pre-cut for travelers and I could not resist in trying one. It is fluffier than an apple, crunchy, slightly juicy, and sweet.
After eating one, I wanted more! Too bad it is not sold in the States.


Other fruits are also sold here, but they were not as popular as the wax apple.
Have you had one before?


- Karen

8 comments:

Louis la Vache said...

New to «Louis»!

Indeed, it is too bad these aren't sold in the U.S.

FilipBlog said...

No I never tried it but the last time I was in Japan, fruit was extremely expensive. Uncomparable to the prices in Belgium. Good pictures.

Greetings,
Filip

betchai said...

oh, I so love this fruit, we call it "tambis" in my part of town in the Philippines, and I do not know the English equivalent until you featured it here. They grow wild where we live, and so love harvesting them for free!

AVCr8teur said...

Louis: Yes, too bad; otherwise, you can try it.

Filip: Thanks. I assume it must have been imported into Japan because it was very inexpensive for me.

Betchai: I have not heard it called "tambis" so it is good to know. Having it grow wild means you can pick one up and eat anytime! :)

lina said...

Wax apple seems to be what we call "jambu air" here. Love them! :)

cocomino said...

They are colorful and interesting to me. :)

LifeRamblings said...

i love wax apples too but it's more commonly known as water guava here.

Jana said...

never heart of it!
to your question I have already tried the star fruit and the round green ones, called cherimoyas (two last fruits on your right, first floor of the table)...they were very yummy!